7 elements of an effective compliance plan
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) has recommended the following seven elements of an effective compliance plan. This applies to all healthcare entities. Although these elements are well known, how many of them are currently implemented within your physician medical practice?
- Designation of a chief compliance officer and implementation of a compliance committee;
- Implementation of compliance policies and procedures, including standards of conduct;
- Have open lines of communication;
- Conduct training and education:
- Respond to detected offenses;
- Implement internal monitoring and auditing; and
- Have enforcement and disciplinary standards.